What has the Fenholloway Water Quality Project accomplished thus far?
With close to $120 million in mill process improvements already made by our company, improved water quality in the river is apparent. Because the river flows directly into the Gulf of Mexico, these improvements have a direct and positive effect on the water quality of both bodies of water.
Some improvements include:
- 14 percent reduction in water use and effluent volume
- 26 percent reduction in phosphorous
- 25 percent reduction in nitrogen
- 54 percent reduction in water color
- 28 percent reduction in biological oxygen demand
- 49 percent decrease in total suspended solids.
Process improvements and upgrades completed or in process include:
- 100 percent, Elemental Chlorine-Free (ECF) bleach plant-Completed
- Oxygen Delignification-Completed
- New Brownstock Washers (BSW)-Completed
- Mill process water and effluent treatment system-Project Planning